We all know what security threats are lurking out there, including new threats from ordinary citizens, not organized criminals.
- DDoS attacks are NOT an if, but a When...
- Realize that the size and number of DDoS attacks are on the rise -- A 102% increase in attack size YOY and as many as 7000 attacks happen daily.*
- A budget NEEDS to be allocated for DDoS mitigation
- There are multiple options for DDoS mitigation – on-premise, upstream, or in the cloud
- Evaluate the pros and cons for each option (i.e. cloud offerings are away from your network, therefore, distancing the attack from your infrastructure)
- Specialized expertise will eventually be needed - will you have this in house or will you need to outsource for DDoS expertise?
- Learn from others' past mistakes
- Know the limitations of your infrastructure bandwidth
- Once your DDoS plan is in place, make sure you evaluate the rest of your security needs (such as intrusion detection and mitigation)
- A contingency plan is ever changing, and will need to be reviewed and updated on a regular basis
*Arbor Networks: DDoS Attack Trends Through 2010, Infrastructure Security Report & ATLAS Initiative